Thursday, August 16, 2007

Thursday Thirteen

I'm sorry if you've come to my blog hoping to read about something other than the weather. It's just all there is right now. We have a 30% chance of rain this weekend and so the humidity will be between 60 & 100%. By Monday the highs are supposed to drop back into the mid-90's. And it is not that I am wishing for the destructive forces of a hurricane. But a non-destructive tropical storm to bring a good rain would be good. I don't even remember when it last rained. My apologies to Texas who apparently will be getting rain from the Tropical Storms hanging out in the Gulf. They don't seem to need anymore. Can't you send us some?

Back in the summer of 1991 I was living in a four bedroom apartment with one other girl. In order to afford the utilities (the other two girls had gone home for the summer) we had to leave the thermostat on 80. I knew then that I was going to college so that someday I would not have live without air conditioning.

So instead of a regular Thursday Thirteen I am doing a Thankful Thursday.

13. I'm thankful for Air-Conditioning.
12. I'm thankful to Benjamin Franklin for discovering electricity
11. I'm thankful to Willis Haviland Carrier who (according to Wikipedia) first discovered and used electric air-conditioning in 1902
10. I'm thankful for all the advances in air-conditioning technology between 1902 and the present and for Bryant for making my particular unit.
9. I'm thankful for the trees behind my house for helping keep my house cool.
8. I'm thankful for the men & women who have given their lives for the freedom I take for granted sitting in my air-conditioned house.
7. I'm thankful for the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) who keeps our utility bills some of the lowest in the country and Huntsville Utilities for providing my electricity (although certainly not for free!)
6. I'm thankful to my high school chemistry teacher who first suggested pharmacy as a career
5. I'm thankful for my parents who taught me to work hard for what I wanted and for helping finance my education.
4. I'm thankful to Auburn University for my degree in Pharmacy (and for my wonderful years there.)
3. I'm thankful for my two employers for paying me so well so that I can afford air-conditioning (and keeping the building cool while I am working.)
2. I'm thankful to my hubby and children for putting up with my crazy hours.
1. I'm thankful to God, for all the blessings in my life, including air-conditioning.