Wednesday, August 01, 2007

School

We had orientation at our new school last night. The school is quite a bit larger then we are used to (both as parents and students) with over 600 students. I was amazed at the size of the cafeteria and library. The previous year this elementary school had enrolled over 1200 students and had become quite overcrowded With the opening of a new elementary school in our area we are glad of the change for our first year. The portable classrooms have been removed. The classes still seem to be small (20-22 students) and the teachers seemed friendly. So far our experience has been pleasant. There is a lot to learn and get used, though. We have to figure out the day care & car line procedures. They have a system for paying online for meals. Our first grader is excited about having homework this year. Our fourth grader seemed disappointed to learn that he would have to read every night this year, too. I have lots of paperwork to fill out. I'm a little worried about my daughter finding her classroom on the first day but she is determined to walk in herself. (She doesn't want to risk crying if I walk her in myself.) I think this is a good change for us. I am eager to go to my first PTA meeting and learn about opportunities for volunteering. They have a first-aid room staffed by volunteers and I think that will be a good fit for me. We are looking forward to a great year!