Saturday, August 18, 2007

Book Update

I wanted to tell you about a couple of books I've read recently. The first is Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. I heard about this book from some one's blog. It's a shame I don't write these things down so I can thank them later. I have found the most delightful book recommendations lately from reading blogs. This book is the story of Jacob, who after his parents die leaving him penniless runs away to the circus. It is set in 1931 but told through the eyes of Jacob when he is 90 (or 93 he's not sure which). It is not a very long story but I enjoyed it immensely and found it very easy to read. Read the review on Amazon and decide for yourself but I recommend it.

I also read The Dante Club by Mathew Pearl. This one was a little more difficult to read and it took me 6 days because I couldn't get into it at first. But it turned out to be a pretty good read. It is set in 1865 Boston and features historical characters involved in a murder mystery. If you enjoyed Dante's Divine Comedy then this will be enjoyable fiction for you. I had never read Dante so I had to read up on the story through Wikipedia. (I also took the time to read up on the characters in the book.) The dialogue and language is unfamiliar and I struggled sometimes to keep focused. But I am glad I read it because I found it educational.

Another book that I read rather quickly was The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. First published in 1985 and made into a movie in 1991 it is on that notorious list of must read books that is circulating around. It reminded me a lot of the book The Road which I just read a few weeks ago. It is set in the Republic of Gilead (formerly the United States of America) which is under a kind of strict marshall law. Women are valued only as breeders and servants and are forbidden to read. The story follows Offred, a handmaid, given to a high "Commander" with the hopes of producing a child for him and his wife. The book is a bit frightening but an enjoyable read.

I also read recently H is for Homicide by Sue Grafton. I'm working my way through these alphabet murders. I find them a refreshing change from more complicated fiction as the above novel. They are good murder mysteries and very quick and easy to read.

As you can see on my blog I read quite a lot of books and am always looking for a recommendation. Feel free to make a suggestion.