Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Cross Stitch

I've been cross-stitching since I was a little girl. I find it a very relaxing hobby. I have all sorts of projects that have never been framed as well as quite a few on the walls. I usually chose projects that look interesting to me, and will be beautiful when finished. I usually cross-stitch in the evenings while watching television. I recently finished a wreath which I am going to enter into my County Homemaker's Cultural Arts competition. It is really the only fiber art (or creative art at all really) that I am good at. I do not sew or quilt or scrapbook.

My mother recently decided to try her hand at cross-stitching. All my life my mother has been good at various fiber arts which I never much cared for. She sews, embroideries, crochets and quilts. She thought cross-stitching would be a more portable craft to take on her various trips. I think she also thought it would be relaxing for her, too. You can see her blog for her latest project.

Not surprisingly, my daughter has wanted to learn cross-stitch, too. A year back we found a "Learn to Cross-Stitch" kit at Michael's. We have tried various attempts to work on this with much frustration. At first, I thought, she was still too young. But she is nearly 7 now. So last night I decided it was the plastic canvas and yarn in the kit that was giving us problems. I found a small pre-finished cross-stitch doily in some of my stuff and an apple pattern that did not look too difficult. I found a large blunt needle. I started her out on her first row and she set to work. So far she is doing well and I am very excited that we will be able to sit together working on our projects.

She thinks that when her grandmother visits next month she will have it completed.