Saturday, August 11, 2007

Purple Secretia

I get a lot of search hits on my blog from Purple Secretia because of this blog entry. Because it seems a lot of people are searching for this plant I thought for fun I would write a little more about it. There is no entry on Wikipedia about it so perhaps people just want to know what it is.


Purple Secretia is a purple perennial plant that thrives in our area (zone 7). It blooms in the summertime with purple flowers. It is found everywhere in landscaping in our area because it looks so good with contrasting colors. (It looks excellent with orange lilies or various yellow flowering plants.) It spreads rapidly, and returns every year. I discovered this plant a few years ago and have enjoyed having it in my garden ever since. It is very difficult to kill. It's roots spread & run deep and unless you manage to get every last one of them it will return to you the following spring. After it emerges from the soil you can transplant it to other areas of your garden or give some to a friend. More will grow in it's place. It seems to thrive in our semi-drought conditions and grows equally well in sun or shade.

I am not pretending to be an expert on this plant, I am just telling of my experience. I have found it difficult to locate in major garden centers. The employees will generally not know it by this name. Small nurseries usually have a few plants as I believe its largest use is to landscapers. In late October or early November when I generally plant bulbs in my garden and pansies I will sometimes pull the remaining plant out of the garden (not actually by the root, just the portion above the ground) to allow room for these winter & spring choices. Don't worry, it doesn't seem to mind this and will return in late April.


Not the best pictures but it gives you an idea.