Saturday, June 16, 2007

Restaurant Meme

I thought I might do something like this Restaurant Meme that J did a while back and recently Gina did. They didn't tag me and to be honest my little town is not that interesting food-wise. I mean it is not L.A. or San Francisco. But we have a few good places here and I have a few favorites that I'm gonna share.

1. Ol Heidleberg. This is a locally owned German restaurant. It is small and cozy with a good atmosphere. We first went there when we were dating and I had never before eaten German food. Now it is my favorite place to go without kids. We always ask for the same waitress which ensures wonderful service. The food is very good although I usually stick to a few favorite dishes. They are always presenting new wines to try. The desserts are also great and we often get ours to go.

2. Victoria's Cafe. This is very much a "ladies lunch" place. In fact, they are not open for dinner. It is always busy at lunch with different groups of ladies and only the occasional man dining with them. It is not a good place to take children. My favorite dish is the Poulet de Normandy and I have that everytime. It is an elegant place, great for going out with the girlfriends.

3. Greenbriar Restaurant. Don't confuse this with Greenbriar Barbecue located just a few miles away. GR is primarily a barbecue restaurant but they also serve fried catfish. It is a "downhome" place where they always refill your hush puppy basket. The service is usually quick and always friendly. It is a large building and you can usually get a seat quickly even on Saturday night. They give you huge glasses of tea. It's a family atmosphere (alcohol & smoke free), very casual. I especially like the barbecue pork. This is where we go often on the weekend because it is so hassle-free.

4. Rosie's Cantina. I know there enough of these around now that it might qualify as a chain. But the restaurant was started in Huntsville. It is THE mexican restaurant in Huntsville. Nothing else compares no matter how hard they try. It is always busy and there is a wait for a table even on weeknights. We often get take-out on Saturday nights when the wait time gets up to an hour. They have outside dining in warm weather. It is especially nice now that all area restaurants are smoke free. I love the chicken quesadillas and also the Mexican Ribeye. The queso is excellent. They have a full bar with frozen and mixed drinks. It is a little loud because it is always busy but the service is usally quick. Currently, they are building a larger restaurant across the street, hopefully with more parking.


I'm only going to list 4. I know there are alot of fancier restaurants here and I've even eaten at several of them. But to me a good restaurant has to have more than just really good food. It has to have good service and a good atmosphere. You have to feel like you got your money's worth. I don't mind paying more for a better place to eat but not if it's just the same stuff dressed up and served with better presentation. We have some decent chain restaurants too, but I didn't want to mention them. My husband's list would probably be different because he eats out at lunch frequently and likes Asian food more than I do. I'm not going to call a place a favorite until I've been there 3 or 4 times and it's been consistent.