Friday, June 29, 2007

Books, Books and More Books

Somebody send me some books, I am quickly running out of anything to read! Oh, great Amazon delivered some today. I'll be okay for a week.

I've read some good books lately. I'm trying to go back and read some classics and best sellers that I missed earlier. I read Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. First published in 1959 as a novella it was made into a movie titled, Charlie, in 1968. It is written in diary format from the eyes of the main character, Charlie Gordon. You can read further reviews at the length above. I really enjoyed it and recommend it to you.

Also, written in diary format I read, Anne Frank: Diary of a Young Girl. I don't know why this wasn't required reading in school. It was a very honest and compelling story. It definitely deserves a slot on the 100 best books list or whatever.

I also finished Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. I've really got to say this only a short story. My edition finished at 106 pages. There is a lot of swearing which I don't remember in the two previous Steinbeck books I read (Grapes of Wrath and East of Eden). The story is compelling and worth a read if you enjoy Steinbeck and come across a free copy.

I also a really good movie based on a book that I wish I had read first, The Prestige by Christopher Priest. I must warn you to pay attention in the beginning. I didn't and had to go back and watch some scenes again because I got confused. The movie bounces forward and backward in time using different methods and it is easy to lose the flow. After watching it the second time I understood a lot I missed the first go-through. It was a good movie and stayed with me for several days.