Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Sofa Shopping

Let me just start by saying I don't like to sofa shop but it has become necessary again.

Shortly before I got married, anticipating my new income, I went shopping for my first sofa. I was living in a small apartment with only a love seat (hand me down) and a few rockers. My husband-to-be went with me on this shopping adventure. We went to a few stores and found what I liked at Rhodes Furniture. They had great financing terms and soon I was the proud owner of a sofa & loveseat. (Later we furnished most of our new house buying furniture at Rhodes and not paying any interest.) We had this set for 10 years and it held up for most of that. Toward the end the damage was mostly due to having two small children.

So in 2005 it was again time to sofa shop. Husband and I again went to several stores. We found a sofa we both agreed on at Ashley Furniture. They had just opened a huge store in Huntsville. Their furniture was well priced and attractive and they had generous financing. To sum up this experience: we were fooled. Two years later and the sofa will have to be replaced. It has not held up to wear. (And I mean it has not held up to being sat on everyday). One of the ottomons is bursting apart at the seam. The furniture which looked impressive in the store and which we paid a good price is not built to hold up to long-term use.

Now in 2007 I have come to terms with being taken advantage of by Ashley Furniture. Of course, I will not set foot in their store again. This time around I will not be wooed by a good price. If I have to pay more for a good sofa, then I will. The sales person at the Lane Store where we did not buy a sofa in 2005 was kind enough not to laugh when we came back this week.

It is tough finding something we can both agree upon. There are several things I do not like in a sofa. My husband wants his feet to touch the floor. We both would like something that will last nearly 10 years. (Oh, in case you were wondering, Rhodes has gone out of business.) We need something in a neutral color. I'm not actually going to use it as my primary seat. (I have my own large chair.) But I want it to look good in the living room. Here is one of the sofas we have looked at.