Monday, March 26, 2007

Bicycle

My daughter, B, is learning to ride her bicycle. She is 6. J was almost 8 before he learned but we did not start working with him early enough. I know that practicing everyday is the route to success but sometimes it is hard to convince children of this. B, while learning (just like J) has spent a lot of time complaining and whining (we are raising two whiners). We try and convince her of how wonderful it would be when she can ride independently, and she is looking forward to it. Right now it seems so hard. I told her everyone has to learn to ride a bike. It is like potty training or learning to drive. It seems impossible now but later it will be so natural. (She was difficult to potty train, too. I do not look forward to teaching her to drive.) She is starting to ride 20-30 yards alone but isn't very good at catching herself when she starts to fall. She also wishes I wouldn't nag her so much. (Really, I am only offering advice on where she needs to improve.) I hope that in a few weeks I will be able to report that we are all riding bikes.