Monday, December 11, 2006

Smoking, Retaraunt review

A year or so ago our city (Huntsville, Alabama) banned smoking in restaurants. I was quite happy with this. I do not care if people choose to polute their bodies with this obnoxious poison as long as it is not in my vicinity. No smoking in restaurants means that you can sit anywhere and not worry if smoke from the "smoking section" will wander over to your table. It also means at most retaraunts there is seating in the bar with no waiting. I am not all that concerned about health concerns from second hand smoke. I just don't like smoke. I don't like it my hair or on my clothes or especially in the air I am currently breathing. I know several otherwise plesant people who smoke and as long as they respect my air space I feel I am very tolerant. (I think this is as preachy as I plan to get on my blog).

Now, having said the above...
Friday night with a rare night without the kids my husband, R and I decided to try out a trendy restaraunt in the downtown area, 801 Franklin. I had been told reservations were not required and we arrived early (5:30 or so). As might have been expected during the holiday season they were booked up and asked if we would like to sit in the bar. I agreed ONLY because I knew of the smoking ban. We sat at a small table against a long bench which was shared by other tables along the wall. A loud foursome of business men were sitting next to us on one side and a quiet foursome of ladies on the other. Now, this is one of those restaurants where they do not give "the lady" the menu with prices. I did check out the prices before ordering. This was in the "special occasion" range of prices for us but certainly not beyond what we can afford. The wine was pricey and we elected for only a glass each. We ordered an appetizer that sounded good but was only adequate. I had an excellent pasta seafood dish with amazing scallops and shrimp (topped with calamari) and R had swordfish. The food was excellent, the service cordial and quick and all was going well, until...

After the business men vacated the table beside us a couple sat down and the lady began to smoke. I thought someone would come over and say something to her, but no. I thought, "I will try to tolerate this", but no. I thought this meal will be over $100 and I can't sit here. I asked our waiter (privately). He explained to us that because they did not allow patrons in the retaraunt under 19 years of age smoking was allowed in the bar. This is an exception to the smoking ban that I was aware of but believed it only to be true of bars, nightclubs, etc. He offered to move us and we moved down two tables. This worked well even though at the end another patron lit up at the bar. As we were leaving I was just thinking that we might come back if we didn't sit in the bar because afterall the food was wonderful when we walked past the EMPTY dining room. No, we will not return. For the money I would rather dine at Ol' Heidelberg or Bonefish without the smoke.