Sunday, December 17, 2006

Charlotte's Web (Not!)

I can blog about this now because it has been almost 2 weeks and the shock has warn off and it has faded to a kind of dream. "Did it really happen?"

December 5th I was trying to catch up on the laundry from the weekend. There had been a basket of my children's clothes in the laundry/utility room since Sunday which I hadn't time to fold until that evening. I took the basket into my guest room to fold on the bed (I'm not sure why, really) and was happy folding away. The guest room is sometimes called Grandmother's room because she is the primary guest. My daughter was sitting on the bed watching a Christmas cartoon and kind of helping me.

Then I looked over at the pile of clothes spilling from the overturned basket and saw "The Biggest F*ing Spider" I have ever seen in the house. (I'm getting chills right now while typing.) The THING was sitting on top of the clothes because it had apparently been immersed in the clothes before I began my folding.

Now, I grew up in the country and spiders as a general rule do not scare me but this was SCAIRY!! I told my daughter not to move and I quickly grabbed up a nearby cup and swooped it into the sink. This spider had a very fat black round belly with some kind of red splotch on it's belly. I have never seen one of these "Black Widows" that wasn't on a web somewhere. It was very terrifying to think of it in the basket of my children's clothes. I tried to drown the spider and then I set it on fire,then I sealed up it's remains in a ziplock bag and disposed of it outside in the dumpster.

I called our pest control people and they came out and sprayed for spiders.