Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Book Update

I just finished reading The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult. This is the third book I've read by Picoult (My Sister's Keeper, Mercy)and by far the best. It is the story of Trixie Stone a 14 year-0ld girl struggling with growing up and her parents Laura and Danny and the single moment that changes their lives forever. It is a story of parental love and how far a parent will go to protect or save their child. It is the story of a child dealing with the same issues adults encounter like insecurity and self-hatred. This book made me think hard about what lies I might say to protect my offspring. The author does an excellent job of describing realistic characters with real emotions. I really enjoyed this book and highly recommend it.

Another book I finished recently is Rick Mofina's If Angels Fall. This is the third book I've read by this author (No Way Back, Be Mine) but actually the first book Mofina published. I have to say that I enjoyed this much better than the previous two I read. Mofina's central character is crime journalist Tom Reed at the San Francisco Star. The story follows the kidnapping of a young child as the story grips the city. Reed's personal life starts to crumble as he tries to solve the story of the year. The book gets very intense and the action continues with very little lull. The reader is well aware of who the kidnapper is and feels the frustration as the authorities keep chasing the wrong suspect. Can Tom solve the crime and convince the police in time to save his own family? If you like crime drama I recommend this book.