Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Book Review

In my continuing quest to read more of that top 100 list that was circulated a few months back I just finished reading S.E. Hinton's The Outsiders. This is a very short book. It is the story of Ponyboy, a "greaser" in the 1960's. It is the story of teenagers in a rough part of time who have little choice about their destiny. It was written by Hinton when she was in high school. I enjoyed it much more than Catcher in the Rye especially because the language is better. I know they made a movie about it in the '80's but I haven't seen it. If you, too, are trying to whiddle away at the Well Read list, I suggest this book.

I also read another of Martha Grimes books, Help the Poor Struggler. This is another murder mystery featuring Scotland Yard's Richard Jury and his sidekick Melrose Plant. These books keep getting better.