Friday, May 25, 2007

Book Review

If you've read any of my posts about the books I'm reading then you know I don't post a traditional review. Besides the fact that I don't really know how to properly review a book there are a couple of reasons for this. I think that the folks at Amazon do a fine job of reviewing and posting reviews and I always include the link to this. Also, I don't want to tell you all about the book, just what I thought, and whether or not you should read it. I try not to include any spoilers.



I finished The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. I read about this book on somenone's blog and then my mother gave me a copy after she finished reading. I found this book very enjoyable but also somewhat depressing. The underlying theme of the book is how a moment's rash decision can not only affect the rest of your life profoundly but everyone around you. It asks a lot of tough questions. I would love to discuss this book with others because I kept wondering what would have happened if the character had did this, or this, instead. It's a good book and I recommend it. Also, if you've read this book and are interested in another book about a child with Down's Syndrome you should read Jewel by Brett Lott.



I looked at my list and realized I've read 40 books so far this year. I'm averaging 8 books a month. It may seem like I don't do anything else but I really do. I just have this somewhat boring job with very little to do. I've got to get into this used book thing, though, because I'm spending a lot on books and I've become my mother's source for books rather than she being mine.