Friday, May 18, 2007

Book Review

This week I finished reading Time and Again by Jack Finney. This book is a classic time traveler tale. It was first published in the early 1970's. The story follows Si Morley, an artist, chosen by the government for their secret project. He travels back in time to 1882. His instructions to only observe and not interact are naturally not followed. The story starts out slow giving us the background to this particular author's theory of time travel. The book begins to build suspense in the second half and leaves the reader asking for more. I enjoyed this book very much. I thought how much easier it would have been for Si to travel back in time from 1970 then from 2007. It seems to me that so much more technology has been developed in the last 30 years to seperate us from our past. This book is considered by many to be a classic time travel book. I definitely found it superior to some others I've read on that top 100 list circulating. If you enjoy time travel stories than this is a must-read.

Incidentally, Finney published a sequel to this book in 1996. I haven't read this yet but his critics do not seem to like it as well.

Favorite Time Travel Books
1. Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon
2. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine Le'Engle
3. The Mirror by Maryls Millhiser
4. Time and Again by Jack Finney
5. The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffeneger