Monday, February 19, 2007

Books

I read over at Thinking About about the Winter Reading Challenge and the Chunkster Challenge. I read a lot but not many of my books are over 400 pages. So not to be left out I followed J's lead and read East of Eden by John Steinbeck. This book qualifies as both a chunkster (600 pages) and a classic. This was quite a good read. It's setting begins right after the Civil War and continues until WW I. Most of the book is set in/near Salinas, California where John Steinbeck grew up. It is an epic in many ways. I don't think I had ever read Steinbeck before and now I think I will give him another look. I just saw that this was made into a movie starring James Dean. How did I miss that?

Now that that is out of the way I am reading something light and juvenile: Forever in Blue: The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood, by Ann Brashares.