Saturday, February 10, 2007

Adventure Books

I just finished reading Lincoln Child's new novel, Deep Storm. I have read everything this author has written (both alone and with Douglas Preston). I am a big fan of the "Adventure Thriller" as I like to call them. My favorites in this class include: Amazonia, Subterranean, Excavation, Deep Fathom, Ice Hunt (all by James Rollins), Riptide, Utopia, Thunderhead, Ice Limit, Relic, Codex (all by Douglas Preston and/or Lincoln Child), Temple, Contest (by Matthew Reilly), Sphere and Jurassic Park (by Michael Crichton).

The basic premise is the same for all the books. A group of scientists/adventurers/ordinary people find themselves in an unfamiliar landscape (dessert, underground, icecap, underwater, jungle, etc) and unearth mysteries while trying to stay alive. The books all describe these unfamiliar settings with great detail. I often find myself transported there myself. There is some "suspension of belief" in all the books requiring you to accept some things as fact which may not be realistic. But these books are fiction, afterall.

Lincoln Child's new book is set in an underwater laboratory (a similar setting to Deep Fathom). It is not as exciting as his previous books but still a good read. I wonder though how many of these books are possible before exhausting the genre. How many exotic landscapes are there anyway? None of these authors has addressed a novel in outer space, though.

If you like "Adventure Thrillers" like I do and like to be transported by your reading to another world I would recommend any of these titles. If I had to pick a few to start then I would recommend: Relic, Codex, or Utopia.