Friday, January 26, 2007

Memories

I just returned after two days out of town. I was helping my mother and various other relatives sort through the lives of my grandparents. My grandfather passed away late November. The house he and my grandmother (deceased in July 2005) had lived in for over 40 years is being sold. Fortunately, someone in the family is purchasing the house.

The house is small - only two bedrooms but it is where they raised their 4 children. It originally had 3 bedrooms but a wall was removed to make a larger living room many years ago. It seems they hardly ever threw anything away. They had an outbuilding and a "shop" full of old memories and quite a bit of what must have been worth saving to them but now is merely trash.

We divided up the memories - or the sentimental trappings of a family first. There was very little of real value but everyone wants something to remember. We divided up the pictures, dishes, furniture and linen. I was fortunate enough to take home my Mama's Bible, my Papa's binoculars and many pictures.

Went through boxes and boxes of pictures. I do not know why they were never sorted into albums. One box chronicled the youth of my mother and her siblings, another box told of my growing up years with my cousins. Framed pictures of the grandchildren as adults as well as the great-grandchildren covered the walls.

It was a time of letting go but I could feel their presence everywhere. I could hear my Mama say, "Don't throw that away!" I could see my Papa working in his shop.

I miss them but I am glad I was able to keep these memories and the sentimental items I kept from the house.