Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Book Update

I just finished reading Michael Crichton's new book Next. (I ended up buying it for myself because no one took my hint.) If you are familiar with Crichton's other work Prey and State of Fear than you are familiar with his ability to take on controversial novel subjects. Next did not dissapoint. If you are unfamiliar with these titles you may know Crichton as the author of Jurrasic Park (made into a blockbuster movie) and Lost World (a different movie was made with that same name but not based on his book). He has also written several other great books including Congo, Sphere, Timeline and Prey. His books are well researched and well written. Next jumped around a bit and the characters were sometimes difficult to keep track of. But overalll, I feel Crichton did a good job of developing a novel around genetic engineering and its moral, ethical and legal pitfalls.

Also, this month I read the book, Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani. This was a novel where the heroine was a pharmacist. Quite a great idea, I think. Wish I had come up with it. It was a good read and I am looking forward to more books by this author.

Earlier I finished Valley of Bones by Michael Grueber, author of Tropic of Night which I reviewed here. It's subject matter is somewhat similar in style and if features one of the characters from the earlier book. Again, I really enjoyed this author. The writing style is a bit different as is the subject. But it was well written.

Just to round out this update I also read the first Richard Jury mystery, A Man With A Load of Mischief by Martha Grimes. Like many books at the beginning of a series (where I have read a later book) it lacked some depth but did not turn me off to the series. I plan to read all of these mysteries eventually.