Monday, October 09, 2006

Sports weekend

Well, my beloved Auburn Tigers were upset on Saturday. Or rather, I was upset, they got whooped (whipped for you english majors). One thing I will say for losing. If you have to lose it is easier to take if you loose from the beginning. It is a lot harder to accept losing when you snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in the closing minutes of a game. (1986 Iron Bowl) Auburn never had the lead. I started accepting the possibility of defeat sometime in the 3rd quarter. They were just out-played. Defense, Offense, even special teams did not show the same level of skill they have all season. What happened? I'll leave that to the so-called experts. The season is not over. We host Florida on Saturday. Not a game to be taken lightly.

As if Auburn losing was not enough, Michael Schumacher did not finish the Japanese Grand Prix on Sunday, effectively handing Alonso the victory and a 10 point lead in the championship. Next week's Brazilian Grand Prix will decide the winner. Unless Michael wins and Alonso finishes below 8 then Alonso has it. A dissapointment, for sure. Again, I will let the experts specualte on the whys. One shining light was Massa finishing second. He and Kimi will make quite a team next year for Ferrari.

The weekend was not a total loss, however. When I suggested we go out for Slushies (Sonic) on Sunday afternoon my 8 yo son spontaneously hugged me. More slushies in his future for sure.

Oh, and I finished an excellent book this weekend: Making Waves by Cassandra King, an excellent southern writer.