Friday, October 27, 2006

Quarters

A local organization in Decatur, Alabama is having a unique event this Saturday to raise money for local charities. It is called miles of smiles (or something similiar). The concept is simple. They are inviting people to come by and drop-off (contribute) quarters and they intend to line them up to make a mile or miles. At first I was excited about how high this might extend but it turns out that it is horizontal.

So now I am curious about how much money this might be. By my estimations (not exact) a roll ($10) of quarters is less than 3 inches. So to be conservative let us say $10 in quarters equals 2.5 inches. According to my google search 1 mile = 63, 360 inches. That means that it would take at least 25,000 ROLLS of quarters to make a mile or $250,00. (Again this is a conservative estimate.) Wow, that would be quite a success for the organization but I have my doubts. A more likely scenario would be about 100 yards which would be about $14,000. I hope to hear how it turned out.

Well, if (as others pointed out) they line the quarters up flat (how boring!) they would only get about 3 quarters per 2.5 inches. This would be about $19,000 per mile.