Monday, July 23, 2007

Book Update

I just read two good books that I want to tell you about. The first one was Keeping Faith by Jodi Piccoult. I've read several of Piccoult's books so far (Mercy, Tenth Circle, My Sister's Keeper) and this is by far my favorite. The story centers around 7 year old Faith who starts seeing visions of God after her parents divorce. Her mother takes her to a psychiatrist and word gets out. Soon news people, cults and people just wanting help are camped outside her door. Naturally, Faith's father rethinks his decision to grant full custody of Faith to her mother and a bitter custody battle begins. I grew concerned about the direction the book was taking halfway through but was not dissapointed in the way the novel turned out. I think this was a good book, regardless of your beliefs or feelings about God.

The second book I read was The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. This book is narrated by Christopher, a 15 year-old autistic boy. Christopher discovers his neighbor's dog murdered and sets out to solve the mystery. He writes his story in a book for us to read. It is a short book but I found it delightful and refreshing. I first read about this on a blog somewhere and am glad that I found it.

I recently joined Bookins at the suggestion of one of my readers and it is really going well. I am sending my books (which I normally just donate to the library) off to other readers and receiving books in the mail (for only 3.99 shipping for each book I receive). Check it out if you are intersted.