Thursday, February 08, 2007

Thermostat

My husband is a bit warm natured. He doesn't really change seasons. He isn't from Florida but he did spend a lot of his growing up years in Texas. Could this be why?

When we first got married the disparity in our "body temps" (so to speak) was so large that in the winter time I slept with an extra blanket on my side of the bed. In warm weather, after he got up in the morning, I would pull up the comforter to stay warm. But after I had children and he had that nasosinus surgery to reduce snoring (or so he wouldn't stop breathing in his sleep) we evened out enough that I no longer need the extra blanket at night. (Neither of us liked having an electric blanket. Although, in winter we do use our electric mattress pad to pre-warm the bed. Having a warm husband, though, makes an electric blanket uneccessary at night.)

I like the to wear sweaters and sweatshirts in the Winter (you can't wear them in the Summer, afterall). I like it to be cool enough to drink Suisse Mocha and snuggle under my afghan in the house. Our house is very expensive to heat and we keep our thermostat on 65' in the winter. (So when they recommend you turn down the thermostat 2' to save energy, well we don't do it.)Also, in North Alabama you have days in the dead of winter where the outside temp reaches the 60's.

My husband has yet to find a day too cold to put the top down on his Miata. He wears shorts year round. He will wear long sleeved T-Shirts and occasionally a jacket in the wintertime. However, I am not sure he has worn a coat since the last time we went skiing. (That nice yellow Columbia coat is hanging there not being worn.) The other day I commented on the fact that he put on his pajamas (undershirt & shorts) and returned to the living room. It had been in the 20's outside that day. He said, "It is the same temperature in the house now as in summer and this is what I wear then."

"Honey", I said. "We do not keep our thermostat on 65' in the summer."

We keep our thermostat at about 70' in the summer. I do not like to be hot. I like it to be cool enough in the house to need my afghan when sitting in the living room. If I am doing housework or cooking I want it cool enough that I don't perspire. I have told people that I went to college and got a degree so that I could have air conditioning. It was one of the sacrifices I made in college to pay the bills. I know that it would be wrong to cool the house to 65' in the summer so that I could wear sweatshirts and drink Suisse Mocha so I don't do it. But my husband would still be comfortable.