Friday, September 22, 2006

Working Mothers

When I discovered the SAHD community on the web I was delighted. Not only because there were so many fathers out there opting out of work but because they shared their adventures in their blogs. I went in search of blogs by working mothers (the antithesis, I suppose). I found few, if any. I know these working mothers are out there. Perhaps, balancing home, family, work, school, church, etc allows very little time for these women to sit down at a computer.

I have been a full-time working mother for most of my eldest child's eight years. I work both because of need and desire. I tried the SAHM thing a while after my second child was born and found out it wasn't for me. I admire mothers of all types who balance everything on their plate. I frequently struggle with the challenges of working and mothering.

My husband and I are coparenting. We are both raising our children. I have a neighbor with three girls who are very active in afterschool activities. My neighbor herself is very involved in several from-home businesses. I suspect that she is far busier than I am. When I am off work I have leisure time to spend with my children. We are not rushing hither and yon trying to keep up with all of their activities. All mothers are working mothers whether or not we have a regular working job and paycheck.

Ponder this: Maybe all blogs by Mothers are actually blogs by Working Mothers.