Friday, September 22, 2006

Work

I recently began a job where I am required to be present for 10 hours per shift but the amount of actual work required of me in that 10 hours is less than 1.5 hours. I know you workaholics out there are crying, "How boring." Yes, I thought so at first. But you can get used to a lot of things if they pay you well enough.

Yesterday, to make up for my day of leisure on Wednesday I worked a full day at my other job. This is the job I left in July to pursue the above mentioned job. I work there only 1 day every 2 weeks. This job is in the customer service area at a place we will call WM. I worked 13 hours with a 20 minute stop for lunch. I can honestly say I worked non-stop (except for the afore mentioned lunch) the entire time. I was on my feet all day and I am exhausted. Today, I am back to the "boring job" we'll call AMC. It is in the same field as WM but doesn't pay quite as well. However, I am allowed a long leisurely lunch (as long as I don't leave), internet access, a radio and a window (a luxury if you've ever worked without one). I think the pay cut is worth the extras. The real advantage is the low stress level. You workaholics out there should start to envy me now.

It is raining today and I can actually look out my window and see this. I worked the last 12 years in a job where you only knew it rained if it was hard enough to hear. Night and day were indiscernible. Now I will be able to observe the change of seasons as I sit on my stool in quiet reflection. Yes, "Life ain't always beautiful, but it's a beautiful life."