Friday, November 17, 2006

Secrets of a Happy Marriage

Sunday is my wedding anniversary (12 years). Maybe my husband will read my blog and realize when the date is. No big deal though. We usually do not exchange presents but try to dine out alone if possible. Twelve years is not a long time considering my parents are heading toward 40 (in February) and both my grandfathers were married over 50 (before they were widowed). I have quite a few friends who have 20 & 30 years in also. Still I am pleased that we have reached twelve years without killing one another. So I thought I would share my secrets to a happy marriage:

1) Buy 2 tubes of toothpaste - one for each of you. Why should you fight over whether to squeeze in the middle or not.
2) Don't even bother putting the toilet paper on the roll - no one cares which way it goes.
3) Before you say it out loud try to think ahead to the ultimate outcome of that conversation, Will the result be worth the little barb or criticism you made?
4) Respect each other's space. Men need their own space. Mine has an entire bonus room which I hardly ever enter (it helps that it is upstairs). He also has his own 2 car garage. The rest of the house is mine.
5) Never, never,never, never call your mother to complain about your husband. Nothing good will ever come of it. Most likely it will cause further problems. I don't mean complaining that he doesn't pick up his socks. I am talking about serious complaints and arguments.
6) Make time for yourselves. Children are wonderful but they grow up and leave. Make sure you take care of your marriage.
7) Pray