Monday, October 16, 2006

Recent Books

I finished the new John Grisham novel, The Innoncent Man, on Saturday. I have read all of John Grisham's novels and have enjoyed his non-legal efforts A Painted House and Skipping Christmas as well as any of the others (especially the last few). This new novel is an account of a true story. It is not (to my understanding) fictionalized and is about the wrongful conviction of Ron Williamson for a 1982 murder in Ada, Oklahoma. It reads well in Grisham's usual style. I think it is the best thing he has written in several years. His first non-fiction attempt and like his first non-legal attempt proves he can write from other genres. I wish he would. I reread two of his novels again this summer, The Testament and The Partner. I still have most of his books in hardback (among the few books I have kept over the years) and may reread a few others.

I finished another new novel last week, Counterplay, by Robert Tannenbaum. This is the about #18 in the Butch Karp/Marlene Ciampi series and it's age is showing. I don't regret reading it but would not recommend it to anyone who hasn't read the entire series. If you like crime thrillers go back and start at the beginning. This book got poor reviews (and I understand why) but how can you resist finding out about favorite characters. I read on the internet that many of the earlier books were ghost written which explains a lot. Tannenbaum tied up a lot of lose ends with this book and probably should put the characters to rest.

I finally read Camel Club by David Balducci. I had quit reading his books in hardback. He has stepped out of his box several times and written some excellent books (Wish You Well, Christmas Train, The Winner) but his last few novels (including this one) fell flat. He has something new out even now but I will wait for paperback. Why read them at all, you may ask, but remember I read 60-70 books a year. I may be a harsh critic but it was still a decent read.

As I mentioned earlier, I also read Cassandra King's Making Waves. This was her first novel and I had previously enjoyed her The Sunday Wife and The Same Sweet Girls. Her books seem to be written in first person and I enjoy that. She reminds me a lot of Elizabeth Berg. Her books are short but enjoyable.

We also listened to Prey by Michael Crichton on our trip. I read this a few years ago and enjoyed the second reading (listening). I have read many of Chrichton's novels (of Jurassic Park fame) and have enjoyed them all. He rights in varied topics but seems to be of the thriller nature. If you enjoy Douglas Preston, Mathew Reilly, and James Rollings you would also enjoy these.

Finally, I am currently reading one of the Cedar Cove novels by Debbie Macomber. I needed something light following those last few picks.

I should start a blog just about my books.